Sunday, July 31, 2016

The Start of a Second Life




So, I've been in the Philippines for almost 2 weeks now, and I love it already! Don't get me wrong, there has been culture shock and small amounts of homesickness, but not more than can be expected. I haven't done any amazing things, but the little things are what make it amazing. I have been able to bond with my host family, neighbors, and classmates so quickly! It's been the beginning of an amazing 10 months.

Inline image 3
Tying our friendship bracelets at Orientation in LA

Some of the little things I am already proud of might seem small or stupid, but they are the kinds of positive things to focus on. I have already learned to ride a jeepney on my own, which was scary, but I didn't even get lost! I have begun to be able to understand the language already... Knowing Spanish has helped with this a lot, but I'm still working on speaking it. I have also begun eating like a Filipino, which is both good and bad, because they are always eating. Hahaha Just a few of the things I've learned to be proud of.



I have started school, and already have some great friends, but am struggling a bit with some of the subjects. I joined a month late, so I think after I get into the flow of things, I'll be ok. I am ok with the subjects, like the teachers, and love my classmates, so I think I'm going to have a great year.

Me and some of my friends at school!
I've also been able to do some more fun stuff with my host family. I have been to two parties, gone to the beach, celebrated my sweet 16th birthday, and went to a bee farm on the waterfront. The two parties were a street party called Sandugo loud fest, and a high school water fight dance thing. They were both super fun, but I had more fun at the water fight, probably because everyone saw that I was white and pretty much surrounded me, so I was soaked by the end. Hahaha
Celebrating my birthday with family and other exchange students
Sandugo Loud Fest!
At the Beach getting tan (burned)
They say that a picture is worth a thousand words, so this was a really long post. Hahaha I don't have much access to internet, but I will try to update every 2 weeks from now on. Thanks for reading, and follow to stay updated with my adventure in the Philippines! 

No comments:

Post a Comment